Welcome to the Somerset Emotional Wellbeing (SEW) podcast!
In this episode, World Suicide Prevention Day 2021, our hosts Dr. Andrew Tresidder and Dr. Peter Bagshaw are joined by Debbie Wint, Suicide Prevention Lead for Somerset NHS Foundation Trust to discuss suicide prevention in detail.
During the conversation, they discuss how people can get help if they are having suicidal thoughts, what you can do to support people who are struggling and what is happening on the 10th of September for World Suicide Prevention Day 2021.
The SEW podcast is a free weekly show hosted by Dr. Andrew Tresidder and Dr. Peter Bagshaw. In each episode, the doctors discuss a different topic related to mental and emotional wellbeing and often invite expert guests to join them in conversation. The show is aimed at the people of Somerset and beyond; the advice and guidance provided should apply to anybody who needs it, whenever they need it.
All episodes of SEW are now available to listen to free through Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Deezer, Google Podcasts, Amazon Podcasts, Somerset Emotional Wellbeing or wherever you get your podcasts!
We’d like to hear from you! If you would like to let us know what you think of the show, or to suggest guests and topics for us to cover, please get in touch with us by emailing: [email protected]
Thank you for listening, see you next time!
Please note: The opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the speakers. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of the NHS or any other organisation unless expressly stated
Suicide Prevention Tips for Clinicians:
- Speak up if you are worried
- Respond quickly in a crisis – you could save a life – and in your career, will probably help more people than you will ever know
- Offer help. You can visit http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Suicide/Pages/Introduction.aspx for lots of helpful information
Advice If You Are Struggling:
- Find reasons to live
- Avoid drugs and alcohol
- Make the home safe
- Take hope - people DO get through this
- Share your suicidal feelings with someone else
- Make a Safety Plan - use the Stay Live App, or stayingsafe.net
Sources of Help:
- Reach out to friends and/or family
- Contact your GP or other Health Professionals
- Contact the Samaritans – Call 116 123 or email [email protected]
- Visit your local Accident and Emergency department
- Call 111 or 999 (if crisis)
- Call Mindline Somerset on 01823 276892 if you live in Somerset
World Suicide Prevention Day 2021 Resources:
- Suicide Let’s Talk – Free online training from the Zero Suicide Alliance
- World Suicide Prevention Day 2021 – The home of WSPD 21